What is salbutamol MDI?
Salbutamol metered-dose inhaler (MDI) contains salbutamol in a pressurized aerosol form. This inhaler is used for oral inhalation only. Each inhalation contains 100 microgram salbutamol in Hydrofluoroethane (HFA) propellant. Hydrofluoroethane (HFA) is an environment friendly, ozone benign and CFC free propellant.
Storage of a salbutamol MDI:
Store the salbutamol inhaler at room temperature with the mouthpiece down. It should not puncture and not use or store near heat or open flame. It may burst in exposure to temperatures above 120°F.
The parts of a salbutamol MDI:
There are two main parts of a salbutamol MDI —the metallic canister that holds the drug and the plastic case that sprays the drug from the metallic canister. It also has a cap that covers the mouthpiece of the plastic case.
Instructions for use of a salbutamol MDI:
Follow carefully the steps to take salbutamol metered-dose aerosol inhaler.
- At first remove the cap from mouthpiece then shake the inhaler well before each use.
- Hold the salbutamol inhaler with the mouthpiece down. Breathe out fully through the mouth, expelling air from your lungs as much as possible then place the mouthpiece into the mouth and close the lips around the mouthpiece.
- Push the top of the metallic canister all the way down while breathe in deeply and slowly through the mouth. Take the finger off the canister after the spray comes out. Take the salbutamol inhaler out of the mouth and then close the mouth after breathed in all the way.
- Hold the breath as much as possible, up to 10 seconds, then remove the salbutamol inhaler from the mouth and breathe normally.
- If your physician has prescribed more sprays, wait one minute and shake the salbutamol inhaler again then repeat above steps.
- Salbutamol aerosol inhaler is recommended to “test spray” into the air before using for the first time.
- Cleanse the inhaler thoroughly. Remove the metallic canister and cleanse the plastic case and cap by rinsing thoroughly in running warm water. Gently replace the metallic canister into the plastic case with a twisting motion after thoroughly drying the plastic case, and put the cap back onto the mouthpiece. It is very important to keep the plastic case clean so the drug will not build-up and block the spray. If it is not cleaned correctly, the inhaler may stop spraying. Clean the plastic case at least once a week. Do not try to wash the metallic canister or let it get wet.
- The metallic canister should be discarded when the labeled numbers of inhalations have been used.
Usage of a spacer device to inhale salbutamol MDI:
A spacer device may be used to inhale salbutamol metered-dose inhaler. It holds the medicine in a chamber after squeeze of the metallic canister, allowing a person to inhale slowly and deeply. Spacer can dramatically decrease the amount of medicine deposited in the mouth, allowing much more medicine to reach the lungs. Usually a spacer is not required to inhale salbutamol metered-dose inhaler. A spacer may be recommended if a person has difficulty timing the spray with inhalation.
There are many spacers on the market. In general, larger-sized spacers are more effective than smaller ones.
Cleaning the spacer device — frequent cleaning of spacer is important to ensure optimal drug delivery. The spacer should be washed every one to two weeks. Warm water and dishwashing detergent should be used to wash the spacer. Washing with water alone causes an electrostatic charge in the spacer that reducing its effectiveness. After washing, dry the spacer before the next use.